Ulrike is Senior Lecturer in Sociology. She joined the University of Winchester from the School of Slavonic and East European Studies (SSEES), University College London, where she was Postdoctoral Research Fellow (2009-2011) in Migration and Diasporic Citizenship in Russia and Eastern Europe at the Centre for East European Language Based Area Studies (CEELBAS). Prior to this, Ulrike received her PhD from the Centre for Russian, European and Eurasian Studies (CREES) at the European Research Institute, University of Birmingham in 2008.
She teaches Sociology modules on gender and sexualities, youth and social change, ideology, conflict and terrorism and is Programme Leader for the BA Sociology.
Higher Education Teaching Qualification: HEA Fellowship (FHEA).
In February 2017, she won the Student Led Teaching Award for Best Delivered Module of the Year for her Gender and Sexualities Module.
In August and September 2017, she was a Visiting Research Fellow at the Aleksanteri Institute, University of Helsinki.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Youth, women, gender and diasporas in Russia, Southern Caucasus and Eastern Europe.
Articles in international peer-reviewed journals
Shahnazarian, N. and Ziemer, U. (2018). Women Confronting Death: War Widows’ Experiences in the South Caucasus. Journal of International Women's Studies, 19(2), 29-43. Read it online.
Ziemer, U. and Popov, A. (2014) 'Research Ethics and Moral Dilemmas of Social Research in Eastern Europe and Beyond' Special Section in Sociological Research Online 19(4). Read it online.
Shahnazarian, N. & Ziemer, U. (2014) 'Emotions, Loss and Change: Armenian Women and Post-Socialist Transformations in Nagorny Karabakh', Caucasus Survey, Vol 2(1-2). Read it online.
Shahnazarian, N. & Ziemer, U. (2012) 'Young Soldiers' Tales of War in Nagorno Karabakh', in a special issue on 'The Many Different Faces of the Caucasus', Europe-Asia Studies, 64(9): 1675-91.Read it online.
Ziemer, U. (2011) 'Minority Youth, Everyday Racism and Public Spaces in Contemporary Russia', European Journal of Cultural Studies, 14(2), 229-42. Read it online.
Ziemer, U. (2010) 'Belonging and Longing: Armenian Youth and Diasporic Long-Distance Nationalism in Contemporary Russia', Studies in Ethnicity and Nationalism, 10(2), 290-303. Read it online.
Ziemer, U. (2010) 'Tackling Tensions and Ambivalences: Armenian Girls' Diasporic Identities in Russia, Nationalities Papers, 38(5), 689-703. Read it online.
- Ziemer, U. (2009) 'Narratives of Translocation, Dislocation and Location: Armenian Youth Cultural Identities in Southern Russia', Europe-Asia Studies, 61(3), 409-33. Read it online.
- Ziemer, U. (2011) Ethnic Belonging, Gender and Cultural Practices: Youth Identities in Contemporary Russia. Stuttgart: ibidem Verlag.
- Ziemer, U. and Roberts, S.P. (eds) (2012) East European Diasporas, Migration and Cosmopolitanism. London: Routledge.
Ziemer, U. (2018) ‘Opportunities for self-realisation? Young women’s experiences of higher education in Russia’, in M.Ilic (ed.) The Palgrave handbook of women and gender in twentieth-century Russia and the Soviet Union. (pp.479-494). London: Palgrave.
Ziemer, U. (2016) 'Unsettled Identity Negotiations: The Armenian Diaspora in Krasnodar Krai', In K. Siekierski and S. Troebst (eds), Armenians in Post-Socialist Europe, Amsterdam: Boehlau Verlag.
Shahnazarian, N. & Ziemer, U. (2014) 'Young Soldiers' Tales of War in Nagorno Karabakh', in N. Kemoklidze, C.Moore, J.Smith and G. Yemelianova, Many Faces of the Caucasus, London: Routledge.
Ziemer, U. (2010) 'Krosskul'turnoe Polevoe Issledovanie: Etnograficheskaya Rabota i ee Vyzovy' ('Doing Cross-Cultural Fieldwork: Ethnography and Its Challenges'). In E. Omelchenko and G. Sabirova (eds) (2010), Peremena Mest: Poputnaya Sotsiologiya ('Changing Places: Sociology on the Way'), pp 69-80. Ul'yanovsk, Russia: Izdatelstvo Ul'yanovskogo Gosudarstvennogo Universiteta.
- Ziemer, U. (2016) Stella, F. (2015) Lesbian Lives in Soviet and Post-Soviet Russia: Post-Socialism and Gendered Sexualities. London, Palgrave Macmillan, in Europe-Asia Studies, 68 (6). Read it online.
- Ziemer, U. (2016) Zakharov, N. (2015) Race and Racism in Russia. London: Palgrave, in Sociology of Race and Ethnicity Vol 2 No. 4, 593-94. Read it online.
- Ziemer, U (2014) Ja¨ppinen, M., Kulmala, M. & Saarinen, A. (eds) (2011) Gazing at Welfare, Gender and Agency in Post-Socialist Countries. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, in Europe-Asia Studies, 66:1, 173-17. Read it online.
- Ziemer, U (2012) Companjen, L., Maracz, L. & L. Versteegh (eds) (2010) Exploring the Caucasus in the 21st Century. Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press, in Europe-Asia Studies, 64(10). Read it online.
- Ziemer, U. (2010) Buckley, C.J., Blair A. Ruble & Erin Trouth Hofman (eds) (2008) Migration, Homeland and Belonging in Eurasia, Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins University Press, in Europe-Asia Studies, 62 (2).
Online media publications