Call For Participation
After the success of the first and second Caucasus Summer Schools (CSS2016 and CSS 2021) it is our pleasure to announce and invite you to the Third Caucasus Summer School (CSS2023). The school will be the third in a series of Caucasus Summer Schools held from 2016 to 2023 by the Caucasus Network for Sustainable Development of Mountain Regions (Sustainable Caucasus) the coordination unit of the Scientific Network for the Caucasus Mountain Region (SNC-mt). The third school will be organised under the project Strengthening the Climate Adaptation Capacities in the South Caucasus (SCAC) supported by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC).
TOPIC: Natural Disaster Risk Assessment for Safe Mountain Tourism: Identification and Mapping
DURATION: 9 days (including travel days)
DATES: 20-28 August, 2023
THE LOCATION: Ozurgeti, Anaseuli (Georgia), Agricultural University of Georgia, Institute of Subtropical Crops and Tea Industry
Third Summer School aims to give students knowledge about identifying and assessing the risks of mountain disasters and their causes; provide them with basic skills in disaster risk mapping; introduce the principles of disaster risk management (DRM); and integrate this knowledge into the expertise and requirements of safe mountain tourism in cooperation with the local population.
During the seven-day course, participants will learn:
– factors and classification of natural mountain disasters and their primary and long-term consequences;
– what is disaster risk and principles of disaster risk assessment;
– the basic principles of disaster risk management (DRM);
– what researchers need to know about regional and local mountain tourism and how the local population is or could be involved;
– practical methods for mapping, planning and assessing the quality and safety of the tourist routes;
– how to perform the real-time monitoring and mapping of hazardous processes and disaster risks.
The Caucasus Summer School is open to young researchers (masters, graduate and doctoral students) worldwide with a priority of participants from the countries of the Caucasus region. We would be very glad to see the participants of the second Caucasus Summer School (2021) and involve alumni of the first school as assistants and/or lecturers as appropriate.
Participation will be limited to a maximum of 22-24 students.
Download the Call for Applications in PDF format here
Download the Application Form here
Please send Application Forms to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Submission deadline: June 1, 2023
Notification of application acceptance: June 15, 2023
If you have any questions please contact Ana Abulashvili: email@example.com or visit: https://www.caucasus-mt.net